About Katonah, New York - Katonah is named for Chief Katonah, an American Indian from whom the land of Bedford was purchased by a group of English colonists. Founded with the name Whitlockville, the town changed its name, and later was moved to its present site in 1897, when its former site (Old Katonah) was flooded by the construction of the Cross River Reservoir. More than 50 buildings were moved from the old site to New Katonah, were rolled on logs pulled by horses. The move was originally ordered to start in 1894, but litigation delayed the process by almost three years. Katonah was not the only village affected by New York City's growing demand for water. The villages of Kirbyville and New Castle Corners were also condemned by the city but were never moved.
Despite often being referred to as a village, Katonah has no legal status as an administrative jurisdiction. While the Katonah post office serves portions of the towns of Bedford, Lewisboro and Somers.
According to the 2010 United States census, the CDP, the 'hamlet' of Katonah, in Bedford, had a total population of 4,605 people, compared to 10,739 residents of the Katonah ZIP code, 10536. In 2010, half (5,391, or 50.2%) of the Katonah ZIP code's population resided in the Town of Bedford, 36.9% in Somers and 12.9% in Lewisboro.
The surrounding countryside includes the John Jay Homestead, the former home of John Jay, the first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States. Nearby is The Harvey School, a private day school which offers 5 day boarding founded in the 19th century, which counts among its alumni "Doonesbury" cartoonist Garry Trudeau. Martha Stewart and Ralph Lauren also live in Katonah, just down the road from the John Jay Homestead.
By its residents, Katonah is often styled as a "village". For example, its library is called the Katonah Village Library and other commercial functions and public works incorporate similar terminology. Katonah generally has a concentration of population and businesses which may include portions of several towns.
Katonah does have its own ZIP code, 10536, and a Metro-North station. As a result of the town's close proximity to New York City and its immediate connection to the aforementioned railroad station and the interstate, a sizable portion of the town consists of commuters. The area is part of the Katonah-Lewisboro school district.
Katonah is home to Stepping Stones, the historic home of Alcoholics Anonymous co-founder Bill W and his wife Lois Wilson. The house at 62 Oak Road.
Katonah Attractions - The Katonah Museum of Art is located in Katonah. The Caramoor International Music Festival, which hosts the Orchestra of St. Luke's, is held annually at Caramoor, within the hamlet's limits. John Jay High School holds its annual commencement ceremony at Caramoor as well. The former home of US Supreme Court Chief Justice John Jay is a state historic site and museum located down the road from Caramoor. The Katonah Poetry Series led by former US Poet Laureate Billy Collins holds readings at Katonah Village Library
Katonah Schools - Katonah is a part of the Katonah-Lewisboro School District. It contains Katonah Elementary School, although some residents go to the neighboring Increase Miller Elementary School. Both schools feed into John Jay Middle School and John Jay High School. Katonah is also home to two private schools, The Montfort Academy, which is affiliated with the Catholic Church, and The Harvey School.
The hamlet is served by the Katonah volunteer fire department, which also hosts the annual Katonah carnival, parade and "chili night". Emergency Medical Service is provided by the Katonah-Bedford Hills volunteer ambulance corp, and as the name suggests serves nearby Bedford Hills as well. The Bedford police department provides police and traffic enforcement to all of Katonah, Bedford Hills and Bedford Village.
The Record-Review, a weekly newspaper, reports on local issues in Katonah, Bedford, Bedford Hills and Pound Ridge. The newspaper began publishing in 1995.
Katonah Village Historic District is a national historic district located at Katonah, Westchester County, New York. The district contains 38 contributing buildings developed between 1895 and 1928 in "New Katonah." It is primarily residential, but also includes three churches and two combination residential-professional office space buildings. The street patterns was designed by the Olmsted Brothers and there are representative buildings in the Queen Anne and Late Victorian styles. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983
We have 95 guests and no members online